Sunday, 11 January 2015

Bright Stripes

I'm really excited about this new project.  Our friends are having a baby soon so I've started a new blanket.  I'd planned to start in January anyway but I hadn't realised they're due a little sooner than I thought!  I didn't really have a design in mind and wanted some inspiration so I looked through my favourite blogs and hit upon Heather's pram blanket for Tiny Tin Bird on her blog Little Tin Bird, it's just lovely!

I headed into the City to buy the same Debbie Bliss colours she used, because why reinvent the wheel when I loved everything about it, but alas Abakhans don't stock it!  I'm not sure why I thought they did.

I tried to remember what shade each colour was and tried to substitute with Sirdar Snuggly DK. They didn't have a yellow I wanted in that range so the one I bought it from their Country Style range instead.  As it happens Heathers yellow was much paler but I quite like the brightness of the one I bought.  There also wasn't a green that I liked, although I found some Merino later in the sale section

Snuggly DK


Snuggly DK

When I got started I decided the darker red, which I'd intended as a sort of pink to off balance all the blue, didn't work and the dark blue was too dark.  I found a tiny amount of some pink Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino, which isn't going to go very far but it might just help.

Snuggly DK

I started by chaining 100 using a 3.5mm (E) hook on Saturday, following Heathers method of not turning the work because I also like the "front" of the stitches.  It really hasn't taken long at all to get this far at all.  I hope it looks fairly neutral, although there's a lot of blue in there I'm hoping it's not too blue.

Bright stripes blanket

Now lets talk about not turning.  I already know from making my Muriel blanket that if you don't turn your work everything ends up leaning to one side (the right if you crochet from right to left), and that's exactly what Heather says happened with hers, although you couldn't tell once she'd added a border.

I thought I'd try and be clever and every so many rows I'd join the next colour slightly to the left and then increase at the end of the row, but it hasn't really helped.  After trialing a border on the stitches I have I'm not too worried because it really didn't look as bad, but I had to rip the border back because I'm no where near ready for that.  At least I know what I plan to do!

Bright stripes blanket


Not even sure what shape this is trying to be, and urgh to all those ends to sew...

Bright stripes blanket

As usual I had some assistance...  They really love this piece of cardboard!  For some reason it was left by the previous owners of our house but it's really handy for taking photos, but here you can see the reality of my livingroom; handbags on the floor, instruction manuals waiting for a home...  Real life stuff

Snuggly DKMoggie

Time for another cup of tea before getting on with more stripes.  Have you started any new projects this year?

x x x x

12 comments:

  1. Wow, Nicole.. that is turning out AWESOME! I bet that little one will love it. I've made baby blankets that ended up being the only one the child wanted when going on a trip or to bed. That's neat. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always the best outcome, our middle nephew always says "my blanket!" and won't let the others have it :-)

      Delete
  2. That is a wonderful looking lot of stripes! Oh and I do so love seeing your kittys......miss having fur
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I never know how much cattyness to add, but they'll probably feature more .... :-)

      Delete
  3. The colors you have chosen look great together, Nicole. I am going to investigate the not turning method problem, but to my untrained eye, your blanket looks fine, however, your assistants look challenging :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gracie! If you figure it out you'd be very popular indeed. It looks ok but I know when it's done it will be more trapezium shaped. Blocking & a border should help though :-) x

      Delete
  4. I saw a great tutorial on Little Woolllie to incorporate the ends in when adding the border but it might be hard to find. I was on her super duper colourful-different stichs-rows blanket. Check it out. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great gift! Those colors are vibrant and sure to cheer up a little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kate! If he/she is born in a couple of weeks they'll need brightening up, it's so cold! x

      Delete
  6. Lovely colours, I think it looks neutral enough :) I knitted a blanket in similar colours last year for my colleague and he loved it. I tend towards blues anyway so any girl babies will just have to like them too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise, I think it's pretty neutral too but my boyfriend thought there was a lot of blue but it works for me. If they have a girl I can help break down the pink/blue barriers of gender! x

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x