Monday, 16 June 2014

I entered a show!

Last January I joined the WI and it's one of the best things I've ever done!  I've met a lot of lovely ladies and most importantly fellow crafters 'get it'.

Understandably when I mention our WI I get the odd look of surprise, possibly because I'm not quite 30 and they think it's all jam, knitting and Jerusalem.

Knitted fox cushion

I like to reassure people that the WI is for everyone (unless you're a bloke!) and there is no such thing as "old" either.  I also try and convince people that we're not all knitting and cake, but this is all lies because we eat a LOT of cake (we have a cake rota and a committee role of cake organiser and cake taster) and we have a craft club full of knitters.  I also happen to really like Jerusalem too.  So there people with your odd looks!

Every year there's a show for our Federation (Cheshire) and I guess it's just like any other country show where you can enter preserves, cakes and crafts into competitions. I didn't enter last year because we were a new group and I didn't have much time, but there were no excuses this year. As a WI we've entered 32 things so we'd better win something!!

I'm down in the yarn category. How I settled on a pattern I'm not entirely sure but I decided I wanted to knit a fox, and then that became a cushion and that's what I did. I made it up, which is why I ended up making the cushion inner as well because it didn't fit the original one... Thank god there were no size requirements!

Knitted fox cushion

I know that the judges are very picky so I decided to use a few techniques, and I also really like moss stitch, which is why the flap looks like this.  The pic above was in a cheap horrid acrylic which I soon scrapped in favour of a much lovelier Stylecraft Lite (I think?)

Knitted fox cushion

And so not content with entering my first show, I went ahead and made this with no idea really how to do intarsia, but I think it's passable!  In fact, I'll be honest, I don't even know if this is intarsia...

Fox cusion

Then he got little button eyes .  Importantly, VERY importantly these buttons match the ones on the back, because yes; the judges are that picky.

Knitted fox cushion

Because I made the pattern up the fox is a bit off centre and has a lot of space above him which I felt needed filling.  I embroidered some stars but they all ended up wonky and different which I reckon the judges would be oh so picky about, so I unpicked them all save this one, which I thought was alright

Knitted fox cushion

And here he is! He went off to the show today and I think the judging is tomorrow. Exciting isn't it? I wish I'd taken a photo of the seam because I'm incredibly proud of my mattress stitch, I know you shouldn't blow your own trumpet too much but I spent bloody hours on it and it's good :p

Knitted fox cushion

Don't forget to enter my competition too, yarn for free? How often does that happen!

x x x x

20 comments:

  1. It's a winner for me. I tried WI, thought I was born for it but the group I joined had too many talks and then I felt a bit stifled for meeting people, but if you can get a good group then fill your boots I say. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lots of talks too but so far I've loved every one! I love the craft group the most though, just because we can sit and talk for a couple of hours :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow, Nicole.. I'm super impressed with your fox pillow! Bravo! I hope you win a prize! Your WI sounds like a neat group. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa :-) I got 'highly commended' and they loved my seams, yay!

      Delete
  3. I love your fox pillow and it would also be a great jumper/sweater, clever you...I recently have gone to a meetup
    of stitch and b*&ch and made a few friends ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to find a local Stitch and Bitch but unfortunately there aren't any :(

      Delete
  4. Well done, hope you win a prize.
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie! I got highly commended, which for the strict judging makes me thrilled!

      Delete
  5. The fox is soooo cute!:::Silvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, he's very silly isn't he?

      Delete
  6. Wonderful fox! Looks like a winner to me, and well done for making up your own pattern! Now I want to look up my local WI...Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do do! They won't all be the same but hopefully you're nearest will suit you nicely :-)

      Delete
  7. So glad you found a good group, Nicole, and your fox pillow is a winner to me! I also admire your new blog design. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Gracie, they are a lovely bunch, just like you and Teresa! x

      Delete
  8. I love this! Well done for making up the pattern yourself too, that's fantastic. I would love to join the W.I....
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not? Have a look on their website, you can search for your nearest ones on there x

      Delete
  9. I just LOVE your cushion and, as someone who doesn't knit much, I think it looks both accomplished and really well executed. Do you know, I've been toying with going to my local WI for a while and I'm off to the first meeting in a couple of weeks. Great to know you like your group so much. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gillian let me know how you get on! I'm not the best knitted but practice makes (almost) perfect. They said I needed to keep my stitches more even hah!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I didn't win, but I did get Highly Commended!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x