Saturday, 7 June 2014

Chunky Cowls

I'm trying to keep the rain at bay with winter knits, I thought I might have succeeded given yesterdayss sunshine  but unfortunately I don't think it has been enough, today has been a wash out!

A couple of years ago my mum & dad bought me some wool as a Christmas present, but come Christmas day it never materialised because they lost it!  It became a bit of a running joke ("I can't believe you lost my wool!!") & we decided that they must have accidentally binned it.  Can you imagine!?

I'd even forgotten what it looked like, so when it eventually turned up I was surprised to say the least!


The missing wool


I had a look through Ravelry and found a pattern for a chunky cowl, which you can find here for free.

Canberra cowl

I think this knitted up in only a few days, which is the brilliant thing about chunky yarn & 10mm needles.

Canberra cowl

I really like the uneven rib stitch and it's so easy to do, k1 *p2, k2* and that's it for every row

Canberra cowl

The one thing which was not easy was grafting it together using kitchener stitch.  Now the fact that I've never done this probably didn't help, but doing it on an uneven rib made it even worse.  I thought it might be a 10 minute job and it took me a whole evening.  I wouldn't have been happy with it any other way though.

Canberra cowl

And so we have it, ta dahhh

x x x x

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Nicole.. your new header is eye-popping awesome! Your cowl turned out perfecto, too! I hope your sun comes back out. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the new layout Nicole, thinking of changing mine but never seem to get round to it! Great cowl, I like the colour runs. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole! The yarn is gorgeous and perfect for this project! As a plant biologist I totally agree with you... bees are preciuos! :) Have a nice weekend!:::Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cowl looks great and love that wool xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x