Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Catching up, I knitted a jumper!

I thought I might have posted about a jumper I was knitting but it appears not!  We do our weekly food shop in Aldi now, which suits me because it's a lot cheaper, smaller (I hate big supermarkets) and they have different deals twice a week where I buy loads of unnecessary tat, like oven gloves and bike panniers (because 3 wasn't enough already?).

Sometime earlier in the year they were selling big 3/400g balls of Aran wool so I bought two pink.  In hind sight I wish I'd gone for grey, but J convinced me I already had loads of grey jumpers, and he was right, but that's because I wear & like them whereas this pink might just be a little 'lets leave it in the wardrobe'.

Raglan jumper

This was my only WIP shot.  So far through I decided one ball was plenty and swapped it for cream (no grey left!).  Right at the end I was convinced I wasn't going to have enough left, to the point of making one arm a few rounds shorter (you can't tell) but guess what?  I had this left...

Aran

I found a simple pattern on Ravelry called Brick, which was free and really easy to follow.  Because I've never knitted anything to wear so size and gauge hasn't mattered before I wanted something easy but I could definitely have followed something more complicated, so I've now cast on the Solstice cardigan which in contrast is probably the most complicated pattern I've ever laid eyes on, but I am loving the challenge.

Anywho this is my version of the Brick jumper, not bad eh?

Raglan jumper

It's called Raglan which I think just means it's knitted in one piece, although you knit the arms and collar after by picking up stitches.  This style definitely suits me, no sewing seams!

Raglan jumper

I've got a nice stretchy waistband and cuffs (use larger needles for this)

Raglan jumper

And the collar isn't bad too...

Raglan jumper

I probably should have knitted the smallest size.  It's funny because non-knitters tell me "oh it will shrink" but as it's acrylic my crafty friends know better!  So far I've not washed it, but if it ends up enormous then maybe it can become my festival jumper.

Is there anything new on your needles* you've never tried before?

*or anything

x x x x

8 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole I really like your jumper and yes acrylic can be great. I crocheted a jumper last year or year before and love it, easy care that was a first for me. Knit socks sometimes to but take ages to finish lol Love Aldi here in Oz too ☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo on finishing that sweater!! It's gorgeous and I do hope you find you wear it a lot.. I'd love to see a photo of it on you! My last challenge was crocheting a lamb for my granddaughter - just got home from the post office and it's in the mail. I sent a bunch of fun yarn to my granddaughter in the box.. she's really taken to it! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow a whole jumper! congratulations! I would love to knit a whole jumper but alas i don't think I have the patience. It is lovely and bright pink is the best. Grey is lovely too but bright pink is for those rainy grey days to cheer the world up a bit. - Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers for you, Nicole! I very much admire the lovely work you did creating the pretty pink sweater. Someday I hope I can make one! I still have my blanket on needles...waiting patiently for me to finish it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Nichole, a great achievement. I think raglan refers to the style of the sleeves, but I may be mistaken. I knitted a jumper once, it was on odd sized needles. After washing it turned into more if a dress, it just kept getting longer, until it was over my knees. There is something about pink, if you look at my blog you will see it's featuring large. As for your jumper you can calm it down with a grey scarf. Good luck on your next jumper.
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is fantastic Nicole! It's really neat and I love the bright pink....in fact it's just great all together.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that is a keeper Nicole, well done. I haven't seen that pattern so I will look it up because it is the sort of timeless jumper you think you could buy anywhere but turns out it is impossible to purchase. Raglan is the style of the sleeves, meaning the seam slopes from the arm pit to the neck, set in or drop shoulder sleeves have a straighter seam line over your shoulders. A very good knitter friend of mine tipped me that you should knit a size smaller than you need, I was dubious but after my first two knits would fit Pavarotti, I followed this rule and it has never failed me!! I have been making my own jumpers ever since for about 7 years. Great job - what next? I used the simplest sweater pattern from ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, a whole jumper! I stand in awe and applaud, I really await to knit a cardigan but haven't been brave enough to cast on yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x