Sunday, 3 November 2013

Cables & hearts

Brrrrrrrrrrr it's cold!!!  We made it to November without putting the heating on but we've had to admit defeat and it's in now.  I don't know if it just feels colder because we've been away for the weekend but I think it's safe to say that Winter has arrived...

We spent the last couple of days over in Sheffield with my family, which I always love.  My uncle lives in a big, old victorian house.  It isn't perfect and you have to be careful which floorboards you walk on because some of them are loose but I love it!  J and I procured a very nice mirror from an antique shop (I doubt the mirror really is antique) but we even haggled and got a fiver off so I'm dead pleased!   It's wrapped up at the moment so I can't show you it, but it will have it's reveal in our new home...!

I've not been upto much knitting or crocheting recently because I've got the finger and hand aches again, only this time my arms hurt a bit too.  It happened earlier in the year after trying to get a few projects finished for people so I'm hoping it's just a bit of RSI and nothing serious.  I'm really itching to get my needles out and finish my owl and start making presents but I need to accept that this just isn't happening.

Cables

I've been making a list of projects that I've started, finished and haven't written about and this is one of them.  I made a cushion for my mums birthday so I couldn't share until she'd received it.  It was knitted up on size 6 needles, probably a lot smaller than I could have gone for but being Cygnet Seriously Chunky it was quite fast to work up.

IMG_0187

I wanted to find an alternating cable pattern but I couldn't find anything (or didn't know how to search!) so after a bit of trial and error I made it up.

Cast on multiple of 5 + 1 (I did 31)

Row 1  ~ *k1, p4* repeat to end k1 (ws)
Row 2 ~ *p1, k4* repeat to end p1 (rs)
Row 3 ~ *k1, p4* repeat to end k1 (ws)
Row 4 ~ *p1, k4, p1, cb4* repeat to end p1 (rs)
Row 5 ~ *k1, p4* repeat to end k1 (ws)
Row 6 ~ *p1, k4* repeat to end p1 (rs)
Row 7 ~ *k1, p4* repeat to end k1 (ws)
Row 8 ~ *p1,cf4, p1, k4* repeat to end p1 (rs)

k = knit
p = purl
cf = cable front
cb = cable back

I didn't take very good photos while we were down at my mum and dads so these will have to do I'm afraid!

IMG_0190

Look how well it matches!  I wish in hindsight that I'd sewn it up with a flap and maybe knitted a few extra rows...  The wooden buttons look nice though.  The inner is a small square Ikea cushion, I have bought far too many of these in the past, three live in our house, two with a friend and I think I've given my mum at least three.  I need to stop making her (anyone) cushions really.

IMG_0188

I had completely forgotten all about this project too!  I don't think I even mentioned it once, probably again because it was a mother's day present so I didn't want my mum seeing it here!!  I remember enjoying this a lot and it's full on my own home grown lavender.  The heart and smell has survived, sadly the lavender plant has not!  It lives on my mums bedside now, along with a variety of other random things I've made / gifted her.

IMG_0196 (1)

Does it really have to be Monday Morning again tomorrow?  I could definitely do with another day off, or two!  Chow for now 

x x x x

8 comments:

  1. Oh dear I do hope your aches soon heal, it's so difficult to resist knitting or crocheting when yu know all you need to do is rest. Beautiful cushion for your mum, it looks super snugly. We also put our heating on a little this weekend, it looks like there is no turning back now! I am back to work after a week off tomorrow and I would love another few days to do li planed to do x hope you have a great week ahead xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps. Sorry about the typos I amusing Alice's iPad mini and it's messing around ! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice projects. I really like that crochet cushion they are so expensive to buy bur yours looks great. I have periods where I can't knit or crochet so I turn to the sewing machine for a break. Hope you are back on it soon. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cushion commentary reminded me of the time I went through a siege of making needlepoint pillows using large mesh, and thick cream colored yarn. I don't remember how many I made, but I remember not being keen on making more :) The pillow you made for your mom is lovely and your lavender heart is pretty and must smell wonderful! I hope your aches heal rapidly and that you have a happy work week, Nicole.
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very cold here too! 5°C and a nasty wind, brrrrr. How clever are you making up your own knitting pattern, and cables!! They still scare me a bit. I love the cushion, and the little wooden buttons :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love both those projects, the cushions looks really soft and cosy. Hope your aches and pains are better soon.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is definitely a bit on the nippy side now, we have succumbed with the heating now too.
    I love the cushion that you made your mum, gorgeous!
    love jooles xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely chilly here today Nicole!...Your cushion is lovely (I love cable patterns) and the wooden buttons look great!...Love the sound of your uncles old victorian house and looking forward to seeing your new mirror reveal!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x