Saturday, 14 September 2013

Rosie elmer blanket update

I haven't posted any updates about my Rosie Elmer blanket in a while and part of that has been the constant indecision about which colours to stick with.  I honestly didn't want to keep boring people with my ummming and ahhhhing.

Rosie elmer blanket

Thank you all for your wonderful comments on my previous posts though, it's given me a lot of food for thought, not least this website called Design Seeds. I warn you, you'll end up buying a shed load of yarn so you can whip up beautiful projects based on tropical birds, berries and doorways I tell you!

Unfortunately I couldn't find a colour palette that matched mine but I do have some ideas for the future. When I've cut down my wool stash to a sensible amount I'm going to save up & treat myself to a purposeful order, but I can't get too carried away yet because I am nowhere near that stage yet!

A few weeks ago I had two ways of going with the blanket... #1 was a warmer mix of squares.  I do love the green  but I think it was the green making things difficult.


#2 worked better but felt quite dull, a bit like how things look on a cloudy day.  Does that make sense?  I don't know, but that's how it made me feel!

Rosie Elmer Blanket

Then I had a look in one of my yarn boxes and it hit me that I really do have too much because I found some stylecraft that I'd forgotten I had... Honestly!

I found the lovely plum and  magenta and that's it :)  Problem solved

Rosie elmer blanket 

Rosie elmer blanket

Woooooopeeeee!!!

I can't really explain how great this feels because this is exactly how I was imagining my blanket (ok, with some green) and it's just been really hard to pull this out of my head and make it. 

I even feel like I might start joining them all together soon....  Oh what fun :)

x x x x

19 comments:

  1. The way I look at it is that if it looks right to you.. it's right! :-) You're going to love this blanket! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Teresa, this has to be exactly how I want it but everyone who's commented has helped a lot in keeping me going :) xx

      Delete
  2. Nicole I do understand where you are coming from with the colours, I spend half my life dithering between this combination and that one. I think your colours are superb and I just love the pattern of your blanket - it is going to be perfect. What a great post Nicole, really enjoyed it, thanks so much
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuu :) The pattern is from Heathers blog Little Tin Bird, well that's who's tutorial I followed x

      Delete
  3. I love the third combination! I liked the other two very much, though. It's so hard to choose sometimes. I think it's going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is *really* hard! I wanted to be spontaneous and just use whatever colour came next but something in my brain stops me :)

      Delete
  4. Yesss solution n°3 is perfect!! I've been having the same problem with this new blanket I'm making, at the start I really wanted to include the Stylecraft green (meadow?) but I've left it out and it looks way better now! I do wish they made some mintgreen and mustard shades though. Have a lovely Sunday! :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used meadow green in the past with spring green, raspberry, clematis and cream; these have worked well together. Liz

      Delete
    2. I love Meadow green, this is the one I was using but it's tricky and I'm sure someone could make it work but at the minute not me! I might use Meadow as a border colour.

      Liz - those combinations do sound lovely!

      Delete
  5. I liked the first two... but I agree, the third is perfect! Oh how I love Stylecraft DK for blanket making.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) It's tricky to get it right, I think using the pinks is just easier as they all work together in whatever order you go for x

      Delete
  6. Such a relief to finally be happy with your colours. My favourite is #2 I think that one is perfect but it's your blanket, I love #3 too! Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a relief! I started to join them and realised how little I'd made, Then I realised how little Stylecraft I had left in some of the colours, so despite this being a "de-stashing" blanket I might buy more if I go to Yarndale!

      Delete
  7. Your blanket is looking gorgeous...(must say I also love the first one with the green!)
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the green but I couldn't work it, thinking of using it as a border colour though :)

      Delete
  8. I really love all the different photographs you have of it :) although the ones without green appeal to me the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic choice as that's the one I'm going with ;-) haha, it's quite fun to photograph, the squares were just pinned to our cork shower mat!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x