Saturday, 8 September 2012

Chunky mustard snood ta-dah!

So I've just realised that I never posted anymore about my chunky mustard snood I was working on! It just totally disappeared off the blogging radar :(

Chunky mustard snood

So for a recap the first and only post about it is >> here

After realising it was completely twisted (and thinking it would be fine) I realised it wouldn't be fine at all. So a note to anyone using circular needles, do not twist your cast on row!!

I frogged it and then knitted the first ball on a coach to London and finished the rest at my folks house. A *very* cramped coach. I made a friend though called Johnny who was quite bemused by my knitting! Another note - circular needles are fantastic for knitting in a confined space, unlike my long regular needles which I poke other passengers with and profusely apologise for...

So this is my snood in all its chunky, curly, knitted glory

Chunky mustard snood

And this is me boiling because in typical Nicole fashion I finished it in the middle of summer :)

Chunky mustard snood

It's going to be a great winter warmer though :)

The yarn is "seriously chunky" by Cygnet in Barley shade 4884 (I think it's mustard!!) and I used 10mm bamboo circulars. I'm not sure how many I cast on, it was trial and error really but it wasn't many given the thickness of the yarn.

x x x x

13 comments:

  1. Funny you should say that about twisting on the circulars, same thing happened with my new hat,not once but thrice! but luckily, I managed to camouflage the mistake so no-one will ever know (except perhaps the whole of Blogland!). Love your snood and what a great colour for autumn/winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks lovely! I love how warm, cosy and snuggly it looks. It is great to hear you got on well with circular needles :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, that is lovely, I love mustard yellow and what a great snood. I wouldn't be able to wait until Autumn to wear it, I would wear it until i got to hot, take it off and wear it again pointing out to whoever would listen how clever I was for making something so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the title quickly and thought I was going to find a hardcore Mustard lovers recipe! I love the snood the last picture shows it off really well. That sure is going to be snuggly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first few rows of any circular project I have ever tried have all been trials with errors :) I spent all afternoon knitting and frogging a new project. Your lovely mustard snood encourages me to try yet again!
    Thanks for posting, Nicole :)
    xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Nicole!! You've inspired me to knit a snood! And a mustard one as well! :-) I've brought the yarn from Spain, now just buy the righgt sized circulars and I can start! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely colour! Perfect for Autumn :) You've just reminded me that I need to cast on for a snood/scarf, otherwise I'm gonna be pretty chilly this winter!

    Much love,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love love love the chunky-licous of it - you will certainly be warm this winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. the snood is beautiful and so is your crochet - a beautiful blog. happy knitting! x G

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this snood. I've bought the same wool as this and I'm going to give it a go! What length of circular needles did you use?

    Thanks :) Ali

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ali - I hope you see this, I can't reply to your comment via email due to your blogger settings :(

    My circulars for this were 100cm but they were too long really. You can get away with it by pulling some cable out between 2 stitches roughly in the middle so it's almost like you've got two needles, half the stitches on one side, a gap and then the rest.

    I've tried to find a picture or tutorial to explain but I just come across people saying "use the right size!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Nicole,

    thanks for your quick reply :) I'm pretty new to knitting and using circulars so do you think If I used a 90cm that would be ok? I'm just guessing really. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment :-) I know you're probably busy so it means a lot!

I'll try to reply and share the love, especially if you have a blog! (but I can't email if you're a "No Reply" blogger, so don't be sad if you don't hear back) x